Is Raid Ant Spray Safe For Cats And Dogs?

We all know the feeling… you see one ant, and then all of a sudden, they’re taking over your house.

The solution may seem simple-spray them, right? But what if you have pets? Is it safe to use around them?

Raid Ant Spray is not considered toxic to cats and dogs unless it is ingested. If ingested, Raid Ant Spray can lead to poisoning. 

Raid Ant Spray is a great way to get rid of pesky bugs invading your home, but if used incorrectly, it could lead to your beloved pets ingesting it.

The rest of this article will explain why Raid is toxic to your pets, and how to prevent it!

Can I Spray Raid If I Have A Dog/Cat?

Raid is a great product that makes it incredibly easy for you to control the infestation of ants and other unwanted critters.

Raid Ant Spray is safe to use if you have a dog or cat, as long as it is used correctly.

Raid should be used only as directed to ensure it does not harm your cats and dogs.

Is Raid Ant Spray Toxic To Pets?

Raid Ant Spray is one of the least lethal pesticides to cats and dogs, but it is still considered toxic when ingested.

Because of this, Raid Ant Spray should be sprayed while your furry friends are not around.

Raid Ant Spray has a handful of active ingredients that can be considered harmful to pets if ingested.

Its active ingredients include pyrethroids, imiprothrin, cypermethrin, and pyrethrin.

Although some of the active ingredients in this spray are natural, some are synthetic and should be used carefully.

According to the Toxicology Data Network of the National Library of Medicine, cypermethrin, an active ingredient in Raid Ant Spray, can cause coughing, shortness of breath, and congestion if ingested.

If your pet has ingested Raid Ant Spray, it could cause asthma, wheezing, and in more extreme cases, it can cause a reaction that may result in pulmonary edema and pneumonitis.

Additionally, Imiprothrin has been known to cause irritation and sneezing.

Check out the list of the best non-toxic insect killer sprays on Amazon now!

How To Keep A Pet Safe While Using Raid Ant Spray?

To keep your pets safe, it’s always important to read the label before using a product. This way you can learn how it’s supposed to be used.

To ensure your pet does not have the chance to ingest Raid Ant Spray, you should keep them in a different room while using it.

When spraying, you should keep the windows open.

At a minimum, you should keep your pets out of the area for fifteen to thirty minutes.

That being said, if you have sprayed down a large area with a lot of Raid Ant Spray, you should try to keep your pets away from the room for about two to four hours.

You shouldn’t need to wipe down any of the treated areas unless you find that your pet is trying to lick at it.

Once you’re finished spraying, you should ensure that the spray is put away where your pets cannot get to it.

Additionally, you should always wash your hands with soap after spraying an area, as chemicals can get on your hands.

You don’t want to end up getting it all over your furry friend as you pet them!

How Long After Spraying Raid Ant Spray Is It Safe For Pets?

If Raid is not used as the label states, it can become harmful to your cats and dogs, as some of the chemicals in Raid Ant Spray are harmful if ingested.

Because of this, it’s incredibly important to know how long you must let the spray sit before reintroducing your pets to the area.

Raid Ant Spray can irritate your pet’s nose, throat, and lungs if ingested or inhaled.

Pets should be kept out of the room you have sprayed for at least fifteen to thirty minutes!

Depending on where you sprayed and how much, you should wait about two to four hours to reintroduce your pet to the area to be safe.

Make sure you have opened all windows to allow the room to air out.

What To Do If Your Pet Licked Raid Ant Spray?

If you find that your pet has licked Raid Ant Spray, you should first try to figure out how much they were able to ingest.

Although Raid Ant Spray is one of the safest insecticides to use around pets, it can still be very toxic to them!

Watch your pet closely, as they will usually show signs of poisoning such as gagging, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, agitation, tremors, convulsions, increased heart rate, and trouble breathing.

If Raid Ant Spray has been ingested by your cat or dog, it will need to be flushed from their system.

This can happen by induced vomiting, or through emptying the bowels.

The best thing you can do is call your emergency vet or poison control.

Let the emergency vet know which insecticide your pet ingested so that they can provide the correct treatment.

Depending on how much your pet ingested, they may have to undergo IV fluid therapy if they become too dehydrated. If they are having seizures, they can be given medication.

After your cat or dog is treated, they will need lots of rest to recover.

You’ll want to allow them to have a quiet, safe space to recover while you keep a close eye on them to make sure they are not showing any other symptoms.

Check out the list of the best non-toxic insect killer sprays on Amazon now!

Final Thoughts 

Insects are pesky creatures who find the most creative ways into our homes. Although Raid Ant Spray is a fantastic solution to your ant problems, it should be used carefully to ensure your pet stays safe!

Thankfully, Raid Ant Spray is completely safe around pets as long as it has been used as directed.

Because of this, it’s so important to read the label and follow directions when using it.

Keep an eye on your pet if they come in contact to make sure they don’t show signs of poisoning.